Are you in love with kale yet? With its’ slightly bitter taste, our relationship took a little bit of time to develop. Now, kale is my favorite leafy green. It’s packed with iron, antioxidants, and numerous other healthly compounds that you can feel good about putting into your body. If you buy leafy whole kale, it’s a little bit tough to eat raw. But if you remove the ribs and massage it with some avocado (or guacamole in this case), the kale is soft, chewy, and packed with flavor.
Avocados are high in fat, but it’s in a different class than the unhealthy fat found in animal products. Avocado contains monounsaturated fat, which helps to lower risk of heart disease and is packed with phytosterols and oleic acid (contributing to easing inflammation in the body). For an even tastier match, pair the Guacamole Kale Salad with vegan queso. This vegan queso is BOMB.
- 1 large head chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 2 large avocado, seeds and shell removed
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- dash of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for one hour and drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- Combine all queso ingredients in a food processor. Process until completely combined. Place covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine all guacamole ingredients. Mash until fully combined.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Add guacamole. Massage guacamole into kale until soft (using clean hands).
- Add remaining salad ingredients, stir until combined.
- Serve with a scoop of queso.
+ Leave a comment