Happy November!! While you might be in a sugar coma from Halloween goodies, one more decadent breakfast won’t hurt, right? Plus, these pancakes are both gluten-free and vegan.
For this week’s gluten-free flour, I used the All-Purpose mix sold at Trader Joe’s. Bob’s Red Mill also has a gluten-free all-purpose mix, along with a myriad of other brands. Trader Joe’s mix includes brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and rice flour. While purchasing pre-mixed gluten-free all-purpose flour can sometimes be more expensive than buying one specific kind of GF flour, it takes the guesswork out of gluten-free baking.
So about that recipe….
Gluten-Free Vegan S’mores Pancakes with Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free graham crackers (about 4 crackers)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil (olive oil can be subbed)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (depending on sweeteness preference) (alternatively, you can sweeten with a few drops of liquid stevia)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (separated)
- 2 tbsp vegan marshmallows
- cooking spray
- Finely crush graham crackers . You can place in a ziploc bag, seal, and crush to smithereens by hand, or throw in your food processor and pulse.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat on stove. If you want an authentic S’mores pancake (and have an oven-safe skillet), preheat your oven to broil.
- Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk to fully combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond milk, oil, maple syrup (or liquid stevia), and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Stir in 2 tablespoons chocolate chips.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Drop batter (about 3 tablespoons per pancake) onto heated skillet.
- Allow pancakes to cook for 4-5 minutes. When bubbles form around edges and pancakes seem set, flip. Allow pancakes to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Top with marshmallows and serve. Alternatively, if you would like to get all campfire with this (which I highly recommend), remove half of the pancakes from skillet. Top the remaining pancakes with marshmallows. Stick (oven-safe) skillet into heated oven. Remove once browned, about 2 minutes. Watch the marshmallows closely when broiling!!
- Top marshmallow pancakes with remaining 2 tbsp chocolate chips. Throw another pancake on top to form a S’more. BITE!