This is exciting…. a Halloween-themed (gluten-free) pancake reminiscent of my most favorite childhood sandwich cookie. Pumpkin cream stuffed between chocolate pancakes! Made with coconut flour, these pancakes taste almost like a cupcake. Coconut flour (high in both fiber and protein) can be a bit crumbly, so I’ve added a bit of tapioca starch as a binder.
No extra syrup necessary. Enjoy.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Cream Pancakes with Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Cream
makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (refrigerated 4-8 hours to firm)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Make Pumpkin Cream first. Combine all cream ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Combine coconut flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, vanilla, applesauce, and maple syrup, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until ingredients are combined.
- Drop batter (1/4 cup per pancake) onto heated skillet. Cover skillet with lid (allowing top of pancakes to begin “baking”).
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip pancakes, cover with lid again until fully cooked, another 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin cream. Enjoy!