There was a time when I loved jarred queso and tortilla chips. Calories were oddly low for a jar of (what seemed to be) cheese. Turns out, this yellow mystery jar is packed with modified corn starch, malodextrin, monosodium glutamate, and artifical colors Yellow 5 and Yellow 6. Not to mention, it’s a jar of cheese. I’ll pass.
If you pass too, you may have already tried your hand at making your own queso. If you’re vegan, you may have already made a cashew-based version. While that is delicious, I wanted to create a nut-free option slightly lower in calories. Enter this nut-free healthy Vegan Queso Hummus.
This is one of my favorite go-to food prep items. I’ll make a big batch on Sunday and use it throughout the week for work snacks, dinner salads, or making Mexican-style collard wraps. It’s also an easily-packable dish for tailgating or a party. Enjoy!
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (1 can drained, 1 can with liquid)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt (depending on preference)
- 1 15oz can tomatoes with diced green chillies, drained
- Add all ingredients (except can of tomatoes) to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Add can of drained tomatoes to hummus. Pulse until tomatoes are incorporated.
+ Leave a comment