Continuing strawberry week, today I have a seemingly decadent Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie. It only seems decadent though; it’s actually gluten-free, vegan, and you’ll feel good after drinking it.
A completely sinful-looking healthy summer treat that is packed with good-for-you ingredients? What’s better than that?
The Coconut Whipped Cream and Shortbread Cookie toppings are completely optional, but I urge you to make them. They definitely add to that decadence factor I was talking about.
If you don’t make the whipped cream, promise me that you’ll make the cookies? Raw cookies, granola, or even gluten-free cereal make perfect smoothie toppings. Add Coconut Whipped Cream and it’s game over.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 scoop vegan protein
- 1 tsp lucuma (or a few drops stevia)
- Whipped Cream (optional):
- 1 can coconut cream, opened and refrigerated (without lid) overnight
- Shortbread Cookie (optional):
- 2 tbsp chopped dates
- 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp water
- Topping (optional):
- Fresh Strawberries
- To make Shortbread Cookie, mix all cookie ingredients in a small bowl, using hands to mash together and form into cookie shapes. Set aside.
- To make Coconut Whipped Cream, add cream (which has been refrigerated open overnight) to a medium bowl. Do not add any of the watery coconut liquid at bottom of can.
- Using eletric beaters or a mixer, beat coconut cream for 3-5 minutes until fluffy and stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine all smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender. Mix until fully blended.
- Top smoothie with a tablespoon of Coconut Whipped Cream and crumbled Shortbread Cookie. Serve with a fresh strawberry.