I love making a batch of oatmeal for breakfast in colder months- it’s warm, comforting, and one of my favorite parts of the morning. Now that it’s warm outside, I haven’t made oatmeal in a few weeks. It’s all about green smoothies and banana fruit ice cream.
For some reason (I blame air conditioning), I woke up craving oats last week. Time for a summer oatmeal creation!
This batch highlights the yummy summer strawberry. Strawberries are filled with all kinds of nutrient benefits, one of my favorites being anthocyanins, which are thought to help boost short term memory. They also contain biotin which helps strengthen hair and nails. Hopefully you’re into strawberries too because I have a few more strawberry recipes coming up this week. (As well as some fashion moments from my trip out west in June.)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (separated) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- dash of salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- In small saucepan, combine oats, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1/2 banana sliced over medium-heat.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until oat mixture becomes thick. Use back of fork to mash banana into oats.
- Stir in almond extract, vanilla extract, dash of salt, and coconut sugar (if using). Remove from heat.
- Pour into serving bowl. Top with other half of sliced banana, sliced strawberries, almond butter, and one tablespoon almond milk (if desired).
+ Leave a comment