As we get closer to summer, I’ve been wanting to do a good cleanse to hit the refresh button, reset my metabolism, and help me enter the warmer weather feeling lighter and more energetic. In the past few months, I’ve felt like I’ve had a ton of sweets (I’m looking at you Healthy Vegan Chocolate Cream Eggs). And although the sources of the sweets were (mostly) from “natural” sweeteners and non-dairy chocolate, I still feel like I want to wipe the slate clean and reset my taste buds. Enter a raw food detox.
In my experience, detoxes are awesome and help to increase energy levels, improve digestion, and even help to level out sleep cycles. (Caffeine, sugar, and alcohol can really mess up your sleep.) After two weeks of a whole food raw detox, I’m looking forward to reduced sugar cravings, brighter skin, and reduced bloating (among other things).
This detox will focus on resetting my taste buds with clean eating and be centered around fruits and vegetables. I already stay away from dairy, meat, gluten, and processed foods, but I’ll also be taking a break from caffeine and white sugar.
I know this might sound like a lot but it really works in helping you to feel lighter, healthier, and more energetic. If you’re interested in trying a detox too, it’s a good idea to limit caffeine, alcohol, refined sugars, and processed foods in the weeks leading up to it. This will help to minimize side effects caused by cutting these things out of the diet completely (like caffeine headaches) and helps to ease the transition to eating clean for two weeks. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below or talk to me on Facebook– I would love to hear from you!
To celebrate this detox and kickoff the season of salads here is one of my favorite detox recipes- enjoy!
- 3 heads broccoli, stalks removed, roughly chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, stalks removed, roughly chopped
- 8 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- juice of 1 lemon
- maple syrup to taste (optional- omit to keep completely raw)
- Place broccoli in a food processor (you may have to do this in 2-3 batches, depending on size of your food processor). Pulse for 5-10 second increments, about 10 times, until florets are very finely chopped. Place into a large bowl. NOTE: If you do not have a food processor, dice into very small pieces.
- Place cauliflower florets in a food processor. Pulse for 5-10 second increments, about 10 times, until florets are very finely chopped. Add to broccoli. NOTE: If you do not have a food processor, dice into very small pieces.
- Place carrots in food processor, pulse until finely chopped. NOTE: If you do not have a food processor, dice into very small pieces.
- Combine florets, carrot, kale, raisins, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and goji berries in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle lemon juice over salad, as well as a tablespoon or two of maple syrup (if desired). Toss to combine.