Yum. This sandwich, just yum. This recipe features a new frozen favorite of mine- wild blueberries. With twice the antioxidant punch as regular blueberries, and an intense, yummy flavor, I’m sold. These little berries pack a hefty punch:
- Intense flavor & color
- More berries per pound
- Less water, so they freeze better and perform better in baking
- Higher concentration of beneficial phytochemicals, making them a more powerful ally against disease
- Wild = more protective phytochemicals in every serving
- Wild Blueberries are leaders in antioxidant capacity; they are rich in anthocyanin, which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which may help prevent chronic diseases (anthocyanin is a flavonoid found in the deep blue pigments of Wild Blueberries, giving them their color and their antioxidant power)
- Brain health
- Heart health
- Diabetes prevention
- Cancer prevention
- Reducing oxidative stress
- Preventing UTIs
- Eye health
I’ve rolled these cuter, prettier berries into a delicious breakfast bread. And you know what goes perfectly with this nutritional powerhouse bread? Drippy almond butter, sweet banana slices, and creamy whipped coconut cream. YES!
Important things to note for this recipe: Be sure to refrigerate an open can of coconut cream overnight prior to whipping. Also, let the sandwich cool before topping with the cream (this will prevent melting). If you would like to see how to whip coconut cream, check out my Gluten-Free, Vegan Pumpkin Roll video.
Grilled Wild Blueberry Almond Butter Banana Sandwich with Coconut Whipped Cream
- 4 slices Wild Blueberry Bread (recipe below)
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 1 small banana, sliced (if you have leftover, freeze it for smoothies!)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Whipped Cream (recipe below)
- cooking spray
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Starting with cooled Wild Blueberry Bread, top 2 slices with 2 tablespoons of almond butter each.
- Top remaining slices with sliced banana.
- Spray heated skillet with cooking spray.
- Put sandwiches together, place on heated skillet.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes per side. Be careful when flipping!
- Remove sandwich from heat, let cool. Top with Coconut Whipped Cream.
Wild Blueberry Bread
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (make at home by pulsing rolled oats in food processor or coffee bean grinder)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water- mix together and let sit five minutes)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix flax egg, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil, and mashed banana.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold in wild blueberries.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes (test with toothpick to ensure bread is fully done).
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pan. Transfer to rack, let fully cool.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can coconut cream (open can, remove lid, REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT prior to use)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- dash of salt
- After refrigerating open can of cream overnight, add coconut cream to a large bowl. Do not use any of the coconut water at the bottom of can. This will affect your whipped cream results.
- Using electric beaters, whip coconut cream for 3-5 minutes until stiff.
- Add in maple syrup and dash of salt. Whip again for 3-5 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
+ Leave a comment