Happy Valentine’s Day Lovelies! Today I’m bringing back Gluten-Free Flour Friday with almond meal! These pancakes are delicious and healthy- no added red dye here (thank you beets)! Speaking of beets, if you haven’t had any lately, I suggest buying and boiling some immediately. They are oh-so-good and filling and perfect for snacking or piled onto a salad. To make the beet puree mentioned in the recipe below, I simply blended one beet with 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk until smooth. If you need more detailed instructions, leave a comment below; I’m happy to elaborate!
One other thing to note, the batter for these pancakes is on the thin side; be sure to let the batter rest for about ten minutes after mixing the ingredients together to give the batter a chance to thicken.
Gluten-Free Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes with Cashew Cream
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sucanat (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water- let rest for five minutes before using)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp beet puree (see note above on how to make this puree)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- Mix all dry ingredients (almond meal through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flax egg through vanilla extract, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Let rest for ten minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- If desired, place pancake mold onto skillet. Pour batter into mold (or onto skillet-about 3 tbsp of batter per pancake). Cook for 3-5 minutes until a few bubbles form. Flip, cook for 3 more minutes or until done.
- Serve with cashew cream!
makes about 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours, then discard liquid and rinse before using)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (depending on your preference for consistency- use more to thin cream out)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients (be sure to soak cashews prior to use) in a high-speed blender.
- Process until smooth. Top pancakes with cream!
Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!!!
+ Leave a comment