THIS RECIPE WILL BE YOUR NEW FAVE! Ok, sorry for shouting, but I really mean it. I make this Cheese Sauce at least once every two weeks. It’s just so freaking versatile. (Usually with this delicious Mac & Cheese.) It was originally born out of Oh She Glow’s cheese sauce, but after making that for months, I wanted to opt for something without any oil. So this Whole Food Plant-Based Cheese Sauce was born. It’s mainly potatoes and carrots, with cashews for added thickness. I’ve made it many times without cashews too- which also works, it’s just going to be a bit more starchy and less creamy. Either way- it’s so freaking good.
This Whole Food Plant-Based Cheese Sauce recipe is featured in the recently launched Quick & Easy Plant-Based Dinner Guide which you can download for free here. It’s 8 recipes of easy weeknight dinners plus 6 recipes of food prep staples that you can make on the weekend and be all set for quick and easy dinners all week long. Some of the staples include quinoa, vegan sour cream, and easy 5-minute Guacamole.
I like to make a batch of this Cheese Sauce at the beginning of the week, usually on a Sunday, and have it hanging out in the fridge for anything I want to add cheese to. You can use it to make this Guilt-Free Mac and Cheese, tacos, nachos, and pretty much anything else you want to get creative with cheese on.
I actually really love putting it in a tortilla (I’m obsessed with these almond flour tortillas) with a little bit of sautéed peppers and onions and making it into a quesadilla. SO GOOD!
The best part about this recipe is that by making our own plant-based cheese at home with whole food ingredients, we are skipping out on a lot of the gnarly things that come with regular cheese. I go into detail on the addictive nature of cheese, as well as the nutritional makeup of dairy cheese in this video.
So instead, we’re making our own cheese and we’re capitalizing on all the beautiful plant benefits of it too. So without further ado, let’s make some cheese!
Whole Food Plant-Based Cheese Sauce
- 3 cups red or yellow potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- Combine potatoes, carrots, and cashews in a small saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer veggies and cashews until potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain water from the mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Start blending on low speed, gradually increasing to high, while using a tamper to incorporate all ingredients. If you don't have a high-speed blender, you can also make this in a food processor.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
If you’d like some ideas on how to use this Whole Food Plant-Based Cheese Sauce, I got you! They’re all hanging out in the Quick and Easy Plant-Based Dinner Guide that you can download for free here.
+ Leave a comment