It’s Gluten-Free Flour Friday friend! A perfect way to cap off the week and start your weekend. Today’s GF flour of interest: buckwheat. You can purchase pre-ground buckwheat or grind it yourself in a high-speed blender using buckwheat groats. Numerous health benefits aside, buckwheat flour tastes delicious with an earthy, nutty flavor; perfect for Blueberry Streusel Pancakes!
Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Streusel Pancakes with Buckwheat Flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water) (1 egg can be subbed)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp raw agave syrup (maple syrup can be subbed) + extra for serving
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar (white sugar can be subbed)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- If using flax egg, add 3 tablespoons of water to 1 tablespoon ground flax in a small bowl. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, whisking with a fork to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix flax egg, milk, agave syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until no visible lumps remain. Do not over mix.
- Heat skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Drop batter (1/4 cup per pancake) onto heated skillet. Flip once bubbles begin to form and edges are cooked (3-5 minutes). Cook an additional 1-2 minutes on other side.
- While pancakes are cooking, combine streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Top pancakes with streusel topping. Finish with maple syrup (or agave).
Thoughts on buckwheat flour? Yay? Nay?
Either way, have a wonderful weekend!
+ Leave a comment