Homemade popcorn is a healthy, tasty snack that’s great to reach for when hunger pains strike. Popcorn pumped up with added protein and fiber by way of flax and chia seeds is a nutritional powerhouse that just took snacking to a whole new level! Both seeds are a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids and fiber, while chia provides an added bonus of antioxidants and minerals. Using the vintage air popper (pictured below), this snack was quick and easy to whip up. If you don’t have an air popper, you can definitely make popcorn on the stove top with a little bit of canola oil. Either way, this is a totally tasty, nourishing snack!
Chia Flax Popcorn
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter spread- optional (magarine/butter can be subbed)
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour – optional (helps seed mix adhere to kernels)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (preferably ground)
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds (preferably ground)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- sea salt
- If you have whole chia/flax seeds, begin by grinding them in a coffee/spice grinder. If you already have ground chia/flax seeds, this step can be skipped.
- Combine all dry spices, ground seeds, and flour in a mixing bowl, stirring with a whisk or fork.
- Using air popper (or on stove top), pop popcorn into a large bowl.
- Once fully popped, drizzle butter spread over popcorn to coat (if using). Next, toss spice mixture over popcorn, tossing with a large spoon to coat. Alternatively, add spice mixture and buttered popcorn to a large Ziploc bag, seal and shake to coat. Salt to taste. Serve immediately!