Happy weekend Lovelies! I’m coming at you today with one more Girl Scout cookie dupe – the chocolate peanut butter deliciousness that are Tagalongs!
The base of these gluten-free, vegan cookies is the same as the Gluten-Free Vegan Shortbread Cookies that I used in last week’s Caramel Delights. You can roll and flatten these cookies into a round shape by hand, use a circle cookie cutter, or use the lid of a small peanut butter jar to shape the cookies. The Vegan Peanut Butter Cream is a fantastic swap for the old-school super-sweet, hydrogenated cream with the help of Earth Balance and coconut sugar. By preparing your own powdered sugar at home (using a high-speed blender to grind coconut sugar) you can replace refined white powdered sugar with a much healthier alternative. If you’re interested in seeing a quick tutorial of how to do this, let me know!
Following the theme of the “Patty” month, which is also the Recipe Redux theme of the month, I have dubbed these cookies my “Chocolate Peanut Butter Patties”…..make them immediately!
Gluten-Free, Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Patties
makes 32 cookies
- 1 batch of Gluten-Free Vegan Shortbread Cookies (shaped and baked into flat discs)
- 1 bath of Vegan Peanut Butter Cream (recipe below)
- 2.5 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Spread cooled shortbread cookies on 2 9×11 parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Using a butter knife, spread a thin layer of Vegan Peanut Butter Cream on top of each cookie. Place cookies back on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil. Stovetop: using a double broiler, add chocolate chips and coconut oil to the top saucepan. Cook over boiling water until chips are melted, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl. Microwave: melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl in 30-second increments (stirring between each 30 seconds).
- Place bowl of chocolate and two forks next to baking sheet with Vegan Peanut Butter Cream-topped cookies.
- Using two forks, drop cookie in chocolate sauce and turn over to fully coat. Alternatively, you can spoon chocolate sauce on top of Vegan Peanut Butter Cream-topped cookie, coating only one side. Place cookies back on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in freezer to firm up again. Cookies will be firm in 10-20 minutes.
- Enjoy! Cookies will last refrigerated for up to one week. You can also store these yummies in the freezer.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cream
makes 2 cups
- 1 cup Earth Balance or vegan butter substitute (room temperature)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (powdered sugar can be substituted)
- Place coconut sugar in a high-speed blender. Starting on low speed, grind sugar into powder (advancing to high speed within a few seconds). This should take no longer than 10-15 seconds. Set aside. Alternatively, you can use powdered sugar.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using electric beaters), beat Earth Balance until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add peanut butter to whipped Earth Balance. Beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add powdered coconut sugar to peanut butter mixture. Beat until completely combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator up to one week.
Happy spring Lovelies!