We talked about a childhood frosty favorite last Wednesday, the Fugsicle, and we made it vegan. Today, let’s make some Gluten-Free Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches. Because what’s better than ice cream on a dreary Tuesday? This recipe is two parts – Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cookies and creamy Coconut Whipped Cream. Both are pretty phenomenal on their own, but I suggest combining the two for true (food-based) joy. If you need a refresher on how to make Coconut Whipped Cream, check out my how-to video here (at the 6min mark). I like to store these cookies in the freezer; when I’m ready to serve, I remove them and let them warm up for about 5-10 minutes to allow the Coconut Whipped Cream to soften. By the way, the cookies are insanely fudgy. So good.
- Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup almond butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water, let sit 5 minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated without lid overnight prior to use
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all cookie ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until fully combined.
- Drop batter (3-4 tbsp per cookie) onto baking sheet (makes 20 cookies).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until firm.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Use spatula to remove cookies and place on cooling rack or plate to cool completely.
- To make Coconut Whipped Cream, add coconut cream from refrigerated open can to a mixing bowl. (Do not add any of the watery liquid at the bottom of the can.)
- Using a stand mixture or electric beaters, beat whipped cream until soft peaks form.
- Add in 1 tbsp maple syrup to cream, beat until fully incorporated and stiff peaks form. Refrigerate cream until ready for use.
- To assemble the cookie sandwiches, flip 10 (fully cooled) cookies over on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream to each upside-down cookie.
- Top cream with another cookie. Immediately place baking sheet in freezer to set. Once frozen, you can transfer cookie sandwiches to a storage container. (I added small sheets of left over parchment between each sandwich to prevent the cookies from sticking together.)
- Remove cookie sandwiches from freezer 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
Cookies and Whipped Cream can be made a day in advance (store both in refrigerator).
Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cookies are lightly adapted from the Detoxinista's Double Chocolate Cookies.